Let me introduce myself.

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 21:19:26 -0500

Welcome Patrick. I am a Randy Potter Alumni from three years ago. I
abandoned my 15-year career in geological consulting (environmental & water
supply) for the wonderful world of pianos. I loved geology quite a bit, but
pianos are way better!

The other two posted replies say most that needs saying regarding
upper-treble unison tuning. I have recently passed the 1,000 piano mark and
I know I continue to improve in this area with time and more pianos.

One thing I have observed is that when starting out, one is often tuning
pianos that are not often tuned. If you are doing pitch raises on these
pianos (even small ones) the high treble will simply not be stable. A decent
piano that is tuned once a year or more often will be so much more stable in
this area. With the unstable pianos in the top octave, I can pull a string
up to desired pitch, play it hard and it will fall - you keep doing this
until it is relatively stable. I use a SAT. I then watch the SAT and if I
hit the key lightly, the pitch might rise a few cents - when I hit it hard
again, it will fall a bit flat. I can often make the pitch go up and down
just by hitting with different forces. I don't think you will ever get an
unstable, rarely tuned, piano like this to be stable in the upper treble on
the first tuning.

A good piano that is tuned often and does not have false beats is a pleasure
to tune in the high treble. I actually think it is quite a bit easier to get
clean unisons up there on a good piano. Good and bad unisons are so
definitive on such a piano. But this does not happen on many pianos that I
see. Some (thank goodness), but not a whole lot.

Also, be aware of false beats. Perhaps this is what you are hearing and is
causing you trouble getting a clean unison. Again, most smaller, older,
cheaper pianos are full of false beats. Likely not the best type of piano to
learn on. But newer, high-end, bigger pianos sometimes are littered with
false beats also. Beware!

Keep reading this list. Delete my posts without reading (or do the opposite
of whatever I say) and read all the others and you will learn much (except
for this one, of course). I have learned so much from this list. Many are
very generous and willing to help.

Are you planning a full time piano servicing jump from your current
position? Are you tuning for pay? Are you near Charlotte? Or where?

Good luck

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida