C88 Hammer Position/SPR

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:30:21 +1100

Del, Tony et al,

>. . . Early writers spoke of
>a SPR at C-88 of between 1/12th up to 1/20th of the speaking length. If
>memory serves, Wolfenden mentioned a SPR of 1/16th in the first edition of
>his book.

Yes, I am starting to suspect that the radius and the hardness of the
bar may have an influence over the ideal SPR. We have done quite
careful checks to arrive at the optimum SPR at C88 for the three 225
we've built so far. It's turned out for all three instruments that
with a speaking length of 53 mm, the ideal strike point from the capo
was 2.5 to 2.75 mm (1/19 - 1/21). Now I realise that this seems to be
rediculously close, but I suspect that the small radius hard bars we
use just might allow for more flexibility of the string at the
termination point - hence the requirement for the hammer to come
closer to the bar. It's just a hunch, but I suspect that a larger
radius bar might in some way limit the ability of the string to be
excited. What do you think Del?

>  >From there the SPR will slide down toward 1/8th (+/-) and get there
>somewhere about the middle of the scale. I say 'about' because I've measured
>enough old (and new) scales now to realize many pianos don't come all that
>close to this so-called ideal.

Agreed Del. When we set up our own scale in the 225, the agraffe for
G#24 (the lowest note on the long bridge) ended up about 3 mm further
away from the stretcher rail than on a standard Samick 225, yet our
piano has the same speaking length at G#24 of 154 cm (it's the only
speaking length which is the same on our piano as for a Samick 225),
obviously the strike ratios on the Samick over the cross are not
uniform (further more, I know they are not, because I've measured a
standard Samick 225 piano).

Our jig for locating the plate in the case is set up with a cut away
along the strike line at C88. This allows us to set up a light with a
mirror on the keybed, enabling us to position the plate such that the
bar is right where we want it for that critical SPR at C88. It's
quite satisfying setting the plate with this jig, since you don't
have to wonder if the piano will work as planned when finally put
together.

How's your new piano coming along Del? I'll get back to you soon Ron N.

Regards to all,

Ron O
--

Website:  http://www.overspianos.com.au