AcryliKey II Feedback - Afterwards

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:50:41 -0600

List,

I would like to thank those of you who responded positively to my =
request for info, including supplier Richard Wagner.  Based on all good =
/ no bad opinions of the stuff, I ordered the kit, and have now made a =
dozen or so repairs.  Results have been super.  Every one worked the =
first time, no do-overs.  You have to look hard to see the repair.  =
Thoughtful of Richard to package protective gloves with the kit.  You =
also need to breath through a respirator.  20 minutes per key?  Yes, if  =
you are doing a bunch, and can prep and fill the next key while the =
previous repair is curing.  Bottom line:  highly recommended, saved my =
bacon.

thanks,

Mike

PS, slightly related to the key bushing/hot hide glue discussion =
currently going on:  I have been able to re-attach most of the ivory =
heads by mostening the existing glue wafer and clamping the head with a =
heated brass plate.  The only ones I couldn't do this way had been =
gucked up with Duco or Superglue in a previous repair, on these I =
scraped off all the old glue and used a new wafer.  The bond seems =
totally secure right now, but I'm wondering how long they'll stay =
attached.  Anyone got some long-term experience with rewetting the old =
glue?