String termination devices

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 17:15:38 -0600

>Sustain did seem a bit short through parts of the scale on the piano I saw,
>but I expect there are a variety of reasons for it. It was my
>impression--without being able to measure it--that downbearing was
>non-existent. Whether by intent or by accident this will certainly have an
>effect on soundboard stiffness.

It was my understanding that there is intentionally neither bearing nor
crown in these pianos. In a CD featuring the (Stuart, not necessarily that
one) piano, the tone breaks up noticeably beyond a certain volume level.
Much like a classic killer octave, but not quite as dramatic. I don't think
it was the bridge termination.

>I have the book and have read it. But that doesn't mean I agree with
>everything I've read either there or elsewhere.
>
>Del

Oh surely not.

Ron N