Chemical Damage to D-Chaser Unit

Roger Wheelock roger@dampp-chaser.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:35:25 -0500

Hello List,

I will attempt to apply some light to this issue.  I am a chemist by
training so here goes.......

The comments Mitchell Smith provided were accurate.  We have only had two
situations where damage has been caused to a piano by corrosion.  In one
case a "humidifier treatment" containing hydrochloric acid was added to the
humidifier.  In the other case the "humidifier treatment" contained a
chlorine-based oxidizing agent.  In both cases the piano owner went to the
local store to get humidifier treatment.  Unfortunately they purchased the
type of humidifier additive commonly known as a descaler.  Our product
contains an ingredient which inhibits mold and mildew, provides no descaling
action, and is not corrosive.

We have done our best to educate technicians and piano owners in the need to
use Dampp-Chaser Humidifier Treatment to avoid any confusion.  We submitted
it to exhaustive testing to determine that no problem could occur.  Now we
currently void any waranty if there is evidence that another additive caused
damage to the piano.

The Humidifer Treatment we sell is designed to prolong pad life.  It is one
part of our three prong approach to humidifier maintenance.  First we
recommend the Smart Heater Bar, secondly we recommend Dampp-Chaser
Humidifier Treatment, and thirdly we recommend pads be changed at least once
a year anyway.  All this is designed to meet maintenance needs when the
owner is unlikely to carefully monitor the Climate Control System.

I hope this helps to clarify the role of chlorine.  Please note that
chlorinated tap water is so dilute in chlorine content that it will not
cause a problem.

Roger Wheelock, VP
Dampp-Chaser Corp.