C88 Hammer Position

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 18:17:03 +0930

Hi Terry & John

Thanks John, yes I am referring to speaking length of string and portions
thereof. (did you like that ?)

When referring to the hammer strike point I prefer to talk in divisions of
the speaking length as it is where the hammer hits the string that denotes
which partials will be promoted and which ones will be suppressed.

In most old pianos (I think) the strike line was a straight line.

The bass from A0 could be at 1/7 to 1/9 of the speaking length, depending on
the tone that that particular designer wanted. (American pianos were mostly
1/8)

Even so, tis the treble we are talking about.

In those days of past it was acceptable to set the strike point at 1/8th on
C88 and 1/8th on A0 then draw a straight line, then place your bridge at
7/8th the length below and the upper bridge or aliquot thingee at 1/8th
above.  This is in design and casting frame and fitting bridges etc.)  Now
the action is fitted in relation to the hammer hitting the strike point and
every part has exactly the same travel as the keyboard is parallel to the
strike line.  Then you find that you want a brighter sound in the upper
treble, so you bend the hammer shanks up to find that nice sweet point.

Problem is that if you set the upper point (C88) of the strike line too
high, say at 1/8", it will sound right on the top 4 to 6 notes, a little off
on the 6 notes below then come good again.  Its the original balance you
want, or an improvement on the original.

Measure the strike point on A0 then on C6  (strings should be shiny from the
hammers, pick the centre of the shine to denote strike point) tie a string
on strike point of A0, pull string firm at C88, align string on C6, see
where string is on C88 and set that point as your strike line.  If on C88 it
is 1/8th, then bend shanks to raise the strike point. If on C88 it is [1/8"]
just fit the hammers to the strike line as is.

Hope this reads clearer than it sounds.

Tony