Duplex

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 02:48:56 +1100

JD wrote:

>  > Well, Ron, this presumes a pretty sharp "terminating pivot" which
>is neither
>>  desirable nor even attainable by makers who might think it desirable.

It's certainly attainable JD if we want it. Bars can be hardened to
cut piano wire like cheese should one desire it. And that without as
much as marking the bar.

Ron N replied:

>Not necessarily. A 2X12 plank across a 55 gallon drum will rock quite easily
>with a kid on each end. It doesn't have to be a knife edge to produce the
>effect.

Agree entirely. However, to follow on from Johns comments, I suspect
that smaller radius bars produces less distortion. The 55 gallon drum
is an interesting analogy to the larger radius bar. The large radius
bar will actually cause the effective string length to shorten and
lengthen as the string goes through each cycle. I haven't proven this
by experiment, but it sure seems to have legs, if the bars (either
duplex or capo) have a large radius, the tone doesn't seem to be any
good. It changes radically for the better when the bar radii are
reduced.

Ron O
--
Overs Pianos