ETDs - The beat goes on

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 09 Nov 2001 07:13:56 -0500

Friends,

I have been using RCT for almost three years now.  Before that I tuned primarily
aurally.  One thing I noticed is that with some pianos (for example most Wurlitzer
consoles and spinets), if I start in the middle and head toward the bass, I will get
substantial beating in the octaves as soon as I cross over to the first wound
strings.

Now my mindset (rightly or wrongly) is that if a person needs to do multiple checks
on every note with an ETD and make adjustments, then there's not much point in using
as ETD at all.  Yes, I understand the viewpoint of those who say it is just a
helpful tool.  They imply one should always question and ETD's judgement.  But the
main reason I bought one was to increase both efficiency and accuracy.

So what I do is check the octaves, fifths, fourths and thirds when I cross over to
the first wound strings.  What I find is that frequently for those small Wurlitzers
I can get significantly improved results in the octaves (and improved or at least
acceptable 5ths, 4ths and 3rds) by adding 1.5 to 2 cents to RCT for the wound
strings.  I have found some 1980 Everett studio pianos where even +3 cents seems
necessary.

I have never had any coaching for tuning, so there is a sense in which I have some
self-doubts.  (I did pass the RPT tuning exam on the first try.)  Nevertheless I
keep some very good musicians happy, although I am certain my tuning is not
"world-class."  In the challenges that Jim Coleman has made to compare an ETD tuning
with any aural tuning, I do wonder how this would come out for him if the tunings
were done on a Wurlitzer spinet with RCT.

I have also found that most grands (not the very little ones) and old uprights will
have very good tunings by just following the spinner all the way.  And even some
spinets sound fine.  I assume it's all in the scaling.

Now my questions.  Is my hearing funny?  Would SATIII and Verituner react the same
way as I cross over to the wound strings?  Has anyone else noticed the phenomenon I
refer to when crossing to the wound strings?  Am I in need of some serious
re-education here?

Regards,
Clyde