Creative DamppChaser installation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 20:36:15 -0500

Eeeeeee Gads! That is one scary story. This installation may have worked =
better if they had plugged the humidifier into the dehumidifier socket! =
Thanks for sharing. This is one for the record book.

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Mike and Jane Spalding=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 8:49 AM
  Subject: Creative DamppChaser installation

  List,

  Many of us have had to install DamppChasers under a small "budget" =
grand that doesn't have any beams.  DamppChaser sells telescoping rods =
for this situation.  I've never used the rods; instead, I install wooden =
closet hanger bars using the molded plastic end cups - then I can screw =
the various pieces directly into the wooden bars.

  Yesterday I went to tune a piano and service the DamppChaser.  New =
customer, piano had recently been shipped from Mom's home in Kansas City =
to daughter here in Milwaukee.  "The guys who moved the piano installed =
the humidifier.  They didn't have any directions, so they figured things =
out the best they could".  The tank brackets were screwed directly into =
the soundboard ribs.  The long humidifier bar was twist tied along the =
treble side of the tank, running from tail to belly rail.  The =
humidistat was twist tied to the front end of the tank.  Needless to =
say, the various sections of the scale were off pitch in directions and =
amounts that I have never experienced before.  It also explains all the =
weird rattles and buzzes I heard while tuning.

  Makes plugging the humidifier into the dehumidifier socket seem like a =
minor infraction.

  Mike

  PS   Yes, I am going back as soon as I can schedule it, to re-install =
the DamppChaser and check for soundboard / rib damage.