YC Strike Weights etc

David Stanwood dstanwood@hotmail.com
Thu, 08 Nov 2001 22:15:57 +0000

It just so happens that we are working on a Mason & Hamlin A right now and
the Balance Rail pins between the sharps and the naturals are very close
together.  A survey of 18 notes across the keyboard reveals an average
strike weight ratio of 5.7 in the naturals and 6.2 in the sharps.  We are
setting a new ratio of 5.3 throughout because we want to throw 1/2 High zone
weight hammers.  We are laying out two separate capstan/heel lines to
acheive this.  It's the overall ratio that counts so if the sharps are
different you can certainly correct them with a separate line and get
uniform ratio and therefore similar dynamic touch between sharps and
naturals.... Using Strike Weight Ratio to determine the correct position is
a convenient method.  Changing the capstan position on the sharps simply
compensates for the higher key ratio on the sharps.  We've done this many
times over the years with excellent results...

David Stanwood