String termination devices

Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:39:37 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip L Ford" <fordpiano@lycos.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 08, 2001 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: String termination devices

> Del,
> Thanks.  I could see the sketch, but for some reason my computer wouldn't
> let me print it out, so it's now become a second hand sketch in my own
> hand.

Well, I'm just glad it made it to you intact. Ain't e.mail wonderful!

> This is very interesting and somewhat similar to a couple of things
> I've seen in old patents.

Don't suppose you have a couple of patent numbers handy?

> I like the idea that there is no net force on the
> bridge (assuming no down bearing) - no twisting as in present arrangement.
> Do you think the weight of these terminations would be an issue at the top
> end of the scale?

Shouldn't be. You're also taking a certain amount of wood (typically maple)
off of the top of the bridge. There might be a bit of extra mass, but it
won't be much. If it proved to be a problem you could alway shave a bit more
off the sides of the bridge body, but I really don't think it would be
necessary.

The only real concern I had was the possibility of them buzzing or rattling
sometime in the future. I looked into using CA adhesive to bond them to the
surface of the bridge but was advised by the CA manufacturers that CA
wouldn't be practical for this use. They couldn't assure me of its long-term
bond strength and they had concerns about its standing up under continued
vibrations. I'm not sure this would be necessary anyway, string bearing
should be adequate to hold it tight against the bridge body along with the
one screw.

I still like the idea and will try it again as soon as I figure out a way to
have them made economically. There are a couple of powdered metal processes
that look promising.

Del