String termination devices

Thu, 8 Nov 2001 09:03:29 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_000F_01C16834.3D18AD20

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Phillip L Ford" <fordpiano@lycos.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 06, 2001 11:53 PM
Subject: Bridge agraffes

> -------------
> Del,
> Would you care to elaborate on this a little?  I haven't seen the =
Stuart
> piano.  If the side by side performance of your device was comparable
> with notched bridges with pins I would think that the device in =
question
> would have some advantages over a conventional bridge string =
termination.
> Were there some reasons that it wasn't adopted?
>=20
> Phil
> ---

Phil,

This was/is not an agraffe. It's basically a long, flat plate with two =
risers, one at each end, which are string bearing points and a riser in =
the middle with one, two or three slots through which the strings pass. =
The middle riser has a slot milled/cast into it which accepts a mild =
steel pin. The pin is oriented in such a way that it deflects the string =
downward from a straight path across the two end risers. (I've pasted in =
part of an old drawing though I've no idea if it will come up on your =
screen.)

The back end has a molded-in pin that indexes into a pre-drilled hole in =
the top of a flat bridge body. Toward the front there is a countersunk =
hole through which a flat-headed wood screw passes to attach and index =
the front of the device to the bridge. The two holes drilled straight =
into the bridge align the device to the string centerline.

I do think the device has some inherent advantages over the standard =
bridge pin system though I didn't do enough testing to determine what =
the long-term performance of the thing might be. One might say this is =
being done now in the field on the Stuart piano. It will be interesting =
to see how it holds up over time.

There was no interest in pursuing this kind of experimental work by my =
employer at the time. Since the company was paying for my time I let the =
idea drop and went on to other things. I do plan to resurrect it again =
one day.

Del

------=_NextPart_001_000F_01C16834.3D18AD20
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...