RCT vs SAT?

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Thu, 08 Nov 2001 16:06:17

Hi everyone-

Greg wrote:
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 21:14:01 -0500
From: Greg Newell <gnewell@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: RCT vs. SAT?

Now I really don't understand this. First and foremost, Ron, you must not
like your back. If it has been determined that there is no real difference
between the results of the three tuners( SAT, RCT, and TuneLab) then why
anyone who intends to print invoices on the road buy a verituner, or an
Accutuner? Further, with TuneLab at half the price, why would anyone want an
RCT? Just for the pretty colors? For those who have a preference for one of
these tuning aids over another, at what point does the supposed added
accuracy (now proven false?)justify the added expense? Is it not important
to listen too? Seems like much
ado about nothing. I really don't want ANY ETD to do ALL the work for me! Am
I missing something?

Welll.......

I suppose it's just a reflection of my tuning journey.  I saw in the field
wide variences of 'acceptable' tunings. (the tuner got paid)  Also, over the
years, I noticed that tunings changed for tuners as their ears aged.  Those
two observations (for me) led me to think of aural tuning as fine wine
making; there are vintage-worthy tunings, and there are some "off" tunings,
depending, I suppose on the phase of the moon, what you ate for dinner last
night, etc.. Also, I wanted to avoid in my "golden years" those tunings that
the last octave is tuned WAY HIGH!

I made the choice (again, just me) to begin the search for a machine that
would be able to calculate the best tunings.  That led me to RCT, (Yes, I
tried tunelab first, I don't accept your premise that all the machines make
the same tunings - try it some time!) and once I was carrying the laptop, I
began using it for all the other business applications.  Even got a little
printer that I carried into the house for a year.  Now, to save weight, I
preprint stuff, but I miss the ability to do everything in the home.

Now my journey has brought me to using the Verituner, and yes, the tunings
are "better". (better octaves through the break, cleaner double and triples)
But, I'm still hooked on the business benefits that a laptop can bring. (no
paperwork at home) So, for now, I drag both around, the service bag holds
the VT and tuning tools, the laptop bag holds the 'puter, steamer iron,
bills, and xtension cord. A third bag is in the car with the printer, if
needed. It's about the same weight as before, but easier to carry with two
bags.

Am I looking to change my gear?  Well sure!  I like toys. If I could do
everything with my Palm, I probably would, it would save a bunch of weight.

Notice I didn't say that EDT tuning is for everyone, just the best choice
for me, looking toward the future.

Ron Koval
Earplugs in, headlamp on, VT cranked up, GO!
(don't you just love dark living rooms?)