Duplex

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 22:27:39 EST

To Technicians Down Under

I am delighted to be in communication with technicians around the world
regarding the benefits or limitations of the duplex scale. I am continually
learning about this subject, the more I study it myself, and hear of others
who are actually practicing tuning of duplex scales, the number of which has
increased greatly along with the number of manufacturers who are designing
improved dulplex scales. Your communication seems to suggest that Steinway
was wrong and all the manufacturers who adopted this feature are wrong, and
that our experiments are wrong, and that you can provide reasons  that
corroborate your opinion. I will anxiously revue any data that you can
provide proving we've all been wasting our time. I could then devote more of
my time to playing golf. ( and I understand there are some great courses in
Australia )

While I am waiting for this information may I respond to your communication
in the following:

Point 1. The effect of one side of a unison around the same hitch pin being
affected
by the tension of the other. Even though the reaction of one side may be
considerably less in the case of a common bichord to a string whose chords
connect two sequen tial pitches , I still believe there is some eventual
tension adjustment. I base this on my years of chipping pianos in which the
phenomenon is readily apparent because the disparity of pitches is much
greater than in pianos that have been tuned.

Point 2. You note that  " I would also add for Dan's benefit that I do not
employ Kangaroos, apart from the fact that they have difficulty holding
tuning levers, they are dumb. I prefer not to employ idiots"

Well, this is very revealing about your choice of students and your choice of
employees.  It is also junjustifiably denigrating to an ancient class of
earthly inhabitants. You say they "have difficulty holding tuning levers"
How many kangaroos have you tried to teach? Perhaps they need a different
kind of lever. I wouldn;t give up so soon on such an interesting challenge.
We do need more tuners.

As far as kangaroos being dumb, I am not in a position to dispute your
opinion my acquaintance being quite limited. But I must say they they have
been hopping around for alot more years than we have been tuning pianos, and
I daresay they know at least as much about hopping as many of us, myself
included,  know about tuning.

Point 3. About some manufacturers setting their duplexes to a semitone higher
than the corresponding partial, I can only suggest that empirical evidence
gathered from a quantity of instruments is more reliable than forming an
opinion from a few. If any manufacturer has actually intended to design a
duplex scale such as you mention I would be most interested in some thorough
research on this point.

Hopping to hear from you (oops) Hoping to hear from you further, I remain

Duplexdan.