Tuned front duplexes

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 08 Nov 2001 00:00:56 0000

What constitutes 'projection' is an interesting question for which I don't
really have an answer, even though I'm the one who cavalierly tossed out
the term.  If pressed I guess I would say tonal content that allows the piano
to be heard over the output of an orchestra or a bit of extra power or volume
that allows the piano to be heard further back in a large hall (that definition
seems sufficiently nebulous).  In any event I think most of us would agree
that we're talking about something that only applies to a large hall and this
situation represents a tiny fraction of the situations in which pianos are
used.  So the question of whether or not to used a tuned duplex would
really only apply to a concert piano.  For other pianos, why torture the
pianist in order to get a little more 'projection'.  As to whether the
performer should have the worst seat in the house, that's another interesting
question.  Since he is there being paid to do a job and to perform
for his 'customers' then if a design changes makes things better for the audience and worse for the pianist should it be incorporated?  Maybe.  I
think we already expect them to make some accomodations, such as
limiting dynamic range on the low end so that the sound will 'project' into
a large hall and to use a piano that is perhaps overpowered in, or biased
towards, the bass end and perhaps has a less responsive action than a
smaller piano.  If they also have to put up with a little noise perhaps that
comes with the territory.

I think we have created an untenable situation with a concert hall that
holds thousands of people.  It's pretty hard to have an intimate musical
experience with an artist when he's seated several hundred feet away.
If we didn't insist on having recitals and concerts in spaces the size of
football fields we wouldn't need to design pianos to fill them up.

Phil

---
Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration