1StringPitchRaise

John Tonyan tonyanj@hotmail.com
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 23:32:39 -0800

    I've been experimenting with an old pitch raising technique for =
instruments which are more than 30=A2 flat that works for me, but want =
to improve it and would like some feedback.
    I strip-mute the whole piano, over-pull the wound strings (3.5=A2 =
max.), then taper the over-pull from +5.5=A2 in the tenor to as much as =
+10=A2 at C6and up. When I encounter an area of the piano that is more =
than 30 cents flat (that is, where I would be over-pulling by 10 cents), =
I change over from tuning unisons to quickly and quietly tuning only the =
center string (+10=A2 max) without pulling the mute. Then go back to the =
unisons and continue with the pitch raise and the tapered over-pull.
    This quick pre-loading of the board before the actual "pitch raise" =
seems to get me to pitch faster (2 pitch raises max), and being one who =
has broken a plate in a client's piano by overstressing one area of the =
plate, it gives me a little more comfort when I'm doing a 100=A2 p.r. to =
have 1/3rd of the scale at pitch before pulling up the rest.=20
    I have also (unsuccessfully) experimented with this technique where =
the piano needed only a small p.r. (say, under 10=A2) and time was =
short. I don't know if this is just a bad idea, or if I'm not =
calculating the over-pull properly, but I'm far from the mark.=20
    How do I calculate the amount to over-pull that center string in the =
above scenarios, and what are the opinions of the second scenario?=20

Thanks for the help.
John Tonyan=20