Pitch Raising/Warren's comment

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Tue, 06 Nov 2001 22:51:23 -0600

Hey Joe,
You are not alone in your feelings.  Charlotte Eschmann (ex DC chapter) in our
chapter says she never goes above the pitch and just sneaks up on it from below,
but she is an aural tuner.  She doesn't have a SAT or V100 to compute what she
needs to do to make a string arrive on pitch correctly without guessing.  The
great majority of us, though,tune to a computed sharp pitch which will drop very
close to A440 when you complete the pass.  I noticed several people mentioned
raising 100 cents flat to 10 or 20 cents sharp the first pass.  This I don't do.
I would bring the pitch up to -30 cents the first pass  which would drop to
about -40 cents after the pass.  Then I would set the pitch at +10 cents and do
the second pass which will result in a pitch of 1 cent or so sharp of A440.
Again, I would do all the wound strings in the bass and low tenor at +5 cents
and the treble at +16 cents to put that section a little sharp.  The upper half
of octave 7 doesn't drop off, so I put the pitch back down to +10.   See, there
wasn't a single "overshoot" in there anywhere! :-)

When I started this this thread, I asked for ways to recover from a stupid
mistake. What I did to correct the problem worked poorly and took more time than
I expected it to.  What I got was the assumption that I didn't know how to do
pitch raises when in fact I've done thousands of them in the 27 years I've been
tuning!

When you change the pitch you are setting the strings in the middle of a pitch
raise, you can't just go through it again in the hope that it will suddenly be
better somehow.  You have to figure out how much the basic pitch of the piano
has been altered by the mistake and try to compensate for it on the next pass or
you will be chasing your tail! What I did was okay, but it two more passes to
remove the glitches enough to start on a good tuning.

Joe, I have no idea where the journal you mentioned is.  My office was a mess
before I left for 3 months.  It's unreal now!  I would appreciate a copy of what
you have if you have the time.  No rush required.

Thanks,

Warren

--
Warren Fisher RPT