perfect pitch

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 01:56:01 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Wilson <pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 1:47 AM
Subject: re: perfect pitch

> I would also imagine that for a musician perfect pitch
> could be as much a curse as a blessing!
>
> Bob Wilson
> London

Yes, sometimes.  It used to bug me to play piano at Sunday school, 'cause
the piano was a quarter or half step flat.  I would have to do some curious
"mindsets" to "pretend" I was hearing the key of C, when it was actually
closer to B.
Also, when I first started tuning and had to sometimes tune old pianos "to
themselves", rather than raise pitch, it was hard to hit the right notes
without looking at the keys, because I'd be playing one thing and hearing
another.  But now, I'm so used to it that it doesn't matter.  However, it
bothers me to play an out-of-tune piano more than when I wasn't a
uner.  --Dave Nereson, RPT