pitch recognition

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 23:47:35 -0700

<<Sooooooooooo!! Those with PP, in fact have the abilty to recognize
differences
in bands of pitch. The note"A" has a band which starts somewhere after G#,
and
before A#.
How many cents flat must an "A" be before it is no longer an "A", I don't
know.???
Interesting subject, for people who work with sound all the time.
Carl (Teplitski)>>

I would say somewhere between, say, 30 and 80 cents -- just picking rough
numbers here.  100 cents flat or sharp of course would be the next tone, or
next note in the scale.  I have several recordings where the tunings for a
certain numbers are a quarter-step flat or sharp of our standard today.
Usually these are old-timey recordings originally on 78rpm records,
sometimes in major studios like RCA, but sometimes on small labels,
recorded maybe in a hotel room with a portable machine, where the artist may
or may not have had any reference to tune to.          --Dave Nereson, RPT