Oops?

Mon, 5 Nov 2001 13:34:57 -0800

Bill:

Also, so that those who are not familiar with your style of tuning are =
not mislead, the standard pitch raise function should get the treble =
sharp enough if you measure/reset frequently on the way up and if you =
are using standard stretching.  I recall that you mentioned that in your =
tempered octaves tuning you are +75 cents by the time you get to C8.  =
Those tuning with normal stretch are more likely to reach only +40.  For =
your system that would require additional stretch going up.  For others, =
they would end up considerably sharp of the target and have to do a =
lowering before a fine tuning.

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: November 05, 2001 12:57 PM
  Subject: Re: Oops?

  In a message dated 11/5/01 2:34:40 PM Central Standard Time, =
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net (David Love) writes:=20

    I thought the usual amount to overpull was 25-30% and that the SAT =
calculated it at 30% based on a bottom to top pull unisons as you go =
method.

  Oops on my part, you're right, David.  I use muting strips and usually =
use a value of 1/3 (33%) as my offset.  For a 120% raise, this would =
mean +40 cents.=20

  Even if this amount were adjusted as the tuning progressed, it would =
hardly seem possible for each note to settle to within +/- 2 cents of =
target pitch which would be the minimum amount needed for a fine tuning. =

  By the way, I may have jinxed myself by making that "Krummy Konsole" =
remark.  My first appointment this morning was a 45 year old Art Deco =
Baldwin (the kind it takes at least 20 years experience to know how to =
take apart), -70 cents low in pitch and virtually all hammers stuck with =
verdigris.=20

  I always try to look at this kind of thing on the positive side:  I =
know how to take it apart, I know how to raise the pitch and I have =
Protek which will free the sticking hammer butt flanges.  I told her =
what a lovely, unique looking piano she has and that it would take just =
a little more than usual to get it working and in tune.  I raised the =
pitch in a 2 pass tuning to -20 cents.  I did what I know how to do and =
got double the usual fee and was still on time to my next appointment.  =
She was more than pleased to pay the fee.=20

  I also unplugged the uncontrolled dehumidifier and explained why.  =
When I was asked when it should be tuned again (instead of *telling* =
her) I simply said "...whenever you feel that the *music* requires it."=20

  Bill Bremmer RPT=20
  Madison, Wisconsin=20