Was Voicing M&H BB/ Now tuned duplexes

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 10:40:52 +1100

Dan Franklin wrote;

>3.  BuzZing duplexes. If by testing it can be ascertained that the duplex
>portion of the string is causing a buzz, the simplest remedy is of course to
>mute it.

Muting the front duplex will 'kill' the note. Yes I know that some
factory tech's mute noisy duplexes for the international piano
competition pianos also (I've seen it many times) but its still a
poor solution. Jim Coleman posted an excellent solution to this
problem last year, when he suggested placing a drop of glue onto the
centre of the offending duplex length. This increases the effective
mass of the duplex wire, lowering its pitch to detune it from the
speaking length. I have used this technique many times since to good
effect. Thank you for the tip Jim.

Some months ago when tuning a Steinway O, note G71 had a screaming
duplex on the left unison only (the duplex lengths varied for the
three unisons since the duplex bar on this Steinway is continuous,
and not individual blocks for each note). Obviously, (to me after
doing experiments on tuned duplex problems in August 2000) the
problem appeared to be that the left hand duplex length was nearly in
tune, causing the string noise. After placing a drop of glue on the
offending duplex, the string noise totally disappeared, and it
remained absent at the next tuning also. There you go Dan, after
doing the experiments firstly in the workshop, then finding a problem
in the field, the field trials supported the findings at the
workshop. You mentioned in a post a couple of days ago that the
'naysayers' hadn't done any experiments to support their theory on
the need for duplexes to be detuned. I disagree with you. I have done
experiments in this area, and Jim's solution adds further weight to
my own findings.

>However, I have never heard or seen any scientific data or
>experiment that proves that tuning the duplex causes the buzz.

You are probably not looking hard enough Dan. Information on this
very matter was posted to this list during the past week. You must
have missed it. If you would like to see a copy, email me at;
mailto:ron@overspianos.com.au and I'll send you a copy of my post to
the list.

>I highly doubt
>it. However it may be possible that the bearing of a duplex scale does not
>conform to mfg specs and altho the duplex may be in tune, the bearing may be
>insufficient producing a buzz.

Check out Ed Foote's post of a couple of days ago. He knows where it's at.

>But this is conjecture on my part.

It certainly does seem to be. Was it you Dan who mentioned on this
list a couple of days ago that you thought it was inappropriate for
technicians put forward views which were after all only opinions,
without having done the experimental work to support their views? Yes
I thought it was you.

Sincerely,

Ron Overs
--