Was Voicing M&H BB/ Now tuned duplexes

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 19:27:18 EST

Dale,

Let's see how many pitches you have thrown that I can hit.

1. Are the front duplexes tuneable

If they are moveable , they are tuneable.

2. How do you determine the tune?

Duplex Scale segments were designed to be "oliquot" portions of the speaking
length. That is, a half, a quarter, a third, an eighth, etc. The principle of
acoustics of Duplex Scale tuning is to use the ear to find the closest and
lowest partial of the speaking length that that portion corresponds to. Such
as an octave ( for half)  a double octave ( for a quarter) etc. You will note
that these intervals correspond to the sequence of partials, which is exactly
what they were designed to do  by helmholtz and Steinway.

3.  BuzZing duplexes. If by testing it can be ascertained that the duplex
portion of the string is causing a buzz, the simplest remedy is of course to
mute it. However, I have never heard or seen any scientific data or
experiment that proves that tuning the duplex causes the buzz. I highly doubt
it. However it may be possible that the bearing of a duplex scale does not
conform to mfg specs and altho the duplex may be in tune, the bearing may be
insufficient producing a buzz.  But this is conjecture on my part. I do not
have sufficient experience with buzzing duplexes to make a categorical
statement on this subject.

Dan Franklin, RPT