Bach temperament tangent

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 15:02:09 EST

 Richard writes:
    <<So Bach probably didnt write (in my opinion) for any particular
temperament in the sense I get from your question... more likely he was
writting in the new (at that time) genre of temperament thinking. >>

Hey,  I can agree with this, 100 %.  It is instructive to read the research
that H.A. Kellner has done inre Bach.  He has a very definitive temperament
pegged as Bach's own, and a lot of information to support it.  Johnny
Rheinhard, of the "Tuning" list has his ideas why Werckmeister's temperament
was the proper one for Bach.
    The differences between these two are so slight that our ears will not
tell the difference.  The huge difference to be had is between ET and ANY of
the historically plausible tunings that held sway between MT and ET.  Even a
mild Victorian creates a discernible change of harmony for Bach, and for the
purposes of introducing the concept of non-ET to the 21st century ears we
work with today, is a very valuable tool.  It is not uncommon for the Bach
lovers to begin asking for stronger doses at later visits.  Great fun, great
music, and a whole new world for the tuner that seeks it.
Regards,
Ed Foote