easing damper guide bushings

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 14:41:18 EST

Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:
> My dad told me he used an umbrella stay. He said you can push it through
the
>  hole with the damper wire still in place. I tried it once and pushed the
>  bushing out.

The old method of using the umbrella stave was to compact the bushing with
pressure, which often led to the above negative result.

Others have mentioned heating the damper wire from inside the cavity. I don't
want to carry a soldering iron, and I don't like hosing the action cavity
with heat from a heat gun.

After checking to make sure the bushing actually IS tight (wire is not
binding against the side of the bushing), the trick is to heat the umbrella
stave with a butane lighter, which I do carry, and iron the bushing slightly.
Pressure is not necessary. If it's tighter than that, one of the more
time-consuming methods is called for anyway.

Bob Davis