more on this temperament tangent

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 14:19:40 EST

Billbrpt@AOL.COM writes:

[quoting Tom Sivak]> > Orchestral music is played in just intonation.  Each
player constantly  tunes  his instrument adjusting each note.
-----Bill answers:
>  There is
>  no just intonation in a string or wind player's use of vibrato but there
can
>  be as when halting that vibrato on a quiet, sustained chord,

Even with vibrato, there is a single perceived pitch center. As an oboist, I
will play the same note at different pitches, depending upon harmonic
requirements, i.e.: major scale third played flat of tempered to be just, or
closer to it.
Bob Davis