more on this temperament tangent

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:37:01 EST

In a message dated 11/2/01 8:15:08 AM Central Standard Time, Tvak@AOL.COM
 writes:

> Orchestral music is played in just intonation.  Each player constantly tunes
> his instrument adjusting each note.

If this were true, orchestras would sound like a glass harmonica.  There is
no just intonation in a string or wind player's use of vibrato but there can
be as when halting that vibrato on a quiet, sustained chord, such as C Major,
the same kind of expression that happens in Cycle of 5ths based tempering.

> instruments.  Not in the minds of
> composers.  When a composer writes an
> orchestral piece, he thinks in just intonation.

Please provide proof or evidence of this.  Furthermore, show one single
example of this in any 20th Century music.

> To think that temperament influenced composers is like the tail wagging the
> dog.  Your inflated sense of self-importance, to even imagine that tuning
> conventions had an impact on a piece like Beethoven's Ninth, is arrogant.

What did influence the choice of key then?  If it wasn't the precedents set
by cycle of 5ths based tempering, then what was it?  Did composers simply say
to themselves, "Gee, I think I'll write a symphony in D just because I like D
even though D sounds the same as all the other keys."?

I don't see how in depth understanding through study and practice of a
particular field of study makes someone automatically have an inflated sense
of ego.  However, I do understand the great sense of discomfort that occurs
when someone discovers that long held beliefs that had no basis in fact are
shown to be false, with no foundation, even if they do reflect the most
common thinking.  This also happened when scientists announced that the world
was, in fact, round, not flat and heads rolled for it back then too.

I find your statement at least as arrogant as you've accused Ed of being.
Unless you can prove that Temperament has *no* influence upon composition,
you are the one spouting the misinformation and your reaction to plain facts
further erodes your credibility.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin