Was Voicing M&H BB/ Now tuned duplexes

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 20:24:55 EST

Dear Dale,

scales I will venture these remarks regarding tuning  the front and rear
duplex scales.  But first I would refer you to Steinway's original patent in
which he states that tuning the front and rear duplex scales contributes
immensely to the sustain and the tone quality. If you don't have a copy of
Steinway's patent, I will be glad to furnish you with one as I do in all my
seminars at PTG conventions. Although it may seem somewhat obvious, I would
like to point out that since Steinways integration of the duplex scale
feature in scale design in 1884, Steinway pianos have been at the forefront
of piano manufacture. To further support the value of this element of scale
design it should be noted that many pianos of the world's most accaimed
instruments have incorporated this feature with their own individual
variations.

FRONT DUPLEXES

My research and experiments have been, so far, exclusively concerned with
rear duplexes and I have acquired virtually no technical information
regarding the effect of tuning or not tuning front duplexes. However, in
defense of the tuning of front duplexes I would be inclined to consider the
value of Steinway's and Helmholtz's input at least equivalent to the value of
some of our noted theoretician/technicians. In weighing this point it would
be helpful to have any technical test results from these front duplex tuning
naysayers that support their claim. So far I have not seen or heard anything
except opinion. I would offer in support of my position that Hermann
Helmholtz and CFT Steinway did not rely on opinion. As far as history relates
they were basing their theories on empirical data.

REAR DUPLEXES

Dale, it appears to me you have got back to the courtroom a little tardy. The
verdict has been issued and the only problem is: the judge wasn't there. YOU
are the judge.
Let me give you an idea of who is on the jury. Fazioli, Boston, Mason &
Hamlin for manufacturers who have made interesting and valuable innovations
in their duplex scale design. In the past few years I have been greatly
impressed with the tuning of the duplex scale in certain of these
instruments.

As far as technicians who have ardently espoused the technique I refer you to
Russell  Gordon, Paul Larudee, Rick Baldassin, Ed Hilpert, Paul Monachino for
starters. I have received testimonials from various technicians, but I would
suggest you do your own research. Call them. Ask them yourself. In the end it
is YOU who have to tune a duplex scale and compare the tone of the piano
BEFORE AND AFTER before you can ever be convinced.

I deeply understand your predicament, because I was there. And I sincerely
hope that you can cross THE DUPLEX FRONTIER. If i can help you further , it
will be my pleasure to do so. In fifteen years I have never had a retrograde
response. That is to say, any time a technician has ventured across the
duplex frontier to actually tune one, he is forever convinced that it was
worth the effort. I've never had a technician WHO HAS TUNED A DUPLEX SCALE
say he didn't hear any difference, or the piano sounded worse. So far, the
tuning of duplex scales is batting 1000 on my scorecard.

As an added note, in the first few years of my advocation of this procedure a
number of technicians, some of whom you mention, did indeed voice contrary
opinions. However, I have not seen any substantial data that supports their
negative opinion.
Consequently, I cannot give credence to this viewpoint.

My basic philosophy is:

IF IT WAS DESIGNED TO BE TUNED , AND IT CAN BE TUNED, IT SHOULD BE TUNED.

My website, Singing Tone. Com will be up and running shortly and you can
watch and hear an entire Duplex Tuning Procedure.

DAN FRANKLIN , RPT