Duh day

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 01 Nov 2001 18:46:03 -0600

It didn't seem like a mission filled with any but the usual annoying
disaster potential, and had a good chance of making me a minor hero to boot.

I got the call last week and scheduled it for this morning. This small
church had scored a donation of a new Yamaha C3 and a stage truck and were
in the process of attempting to mate part "A" to part "B". After the 47 man
lift and pop out the casters idea proved somewhat less than sterling, they
realized that if the first step in the master plan hadn't worked any better
than that (the casters just grinned at them and stayed in the legs), there
might be more involved in the process than they had anticipated - and they
began to get nervous. Over a period of not that many minutes passing, every
time the master planner looked up, there were fewer ground units in her
fighting force. Knowing when to quit, she called and scheduled.

When I showed up this morning with my C3 levitation kit, she asked me if I
had time to install a Dampp-Chaser too, as long as I was there. Oh good, no
nut driver, drop light, and sundry odd parts kit that I would have thrown
in the truck with minimal warning. "Sure", I said.

Nearly no problems with the truck installation, except for one tiny, nearly
insignificant detail. Did you know that the Polyester finish on that rear
leg block is 0.053" thick? I didn't, before I left the house this morning,
but I do now.

Hint: Don't forget to pad your scissor jack, and make sure it's positioned
(and STAYS) well away from the finished edge before and during cranking.
You might want to consider protective clothing too, or at least safety
glasses. It is now on record that departing polyester chips can travel at
least 180cm from a standing start at the low edge of a grand case. Be
careful out there.

Dampp-Chaser, I discovered, now includes a neat little folded cardboard
technician's head rest in the shipping carton. I thought it was kind of neat.

Well, back to standing by at the mailbox for the touch-up guy's bill.

Ron N