YC Strike Weights etc

Thu, 01 Nov 2001 23:26:03 +0100

Hi folks..

for those of you who are interested in such... I am starting off on
another evening out of SW's and the rest ala Stanwood (as described in
his Touchweight design kit sold by Protek) This job is pretty odd as
evident by the key ratios you see below. The white keys all weighed in
at 5.5 and the blacks at 5.2 (or pehaps actually 5.1).

I am not entirely sure how to handle this one... my instincts tell me to
move the caps so that a uniform KR is achieved...but I am not getting
payed enough on this job to justify that.... but the thought of a
staggered set of capstans is interesting enough.

Anyways... here are the basic numbers

#     FW     SW     KR     WRW
1      28.9    12.6    5.5     18.7
10    31.5     12.2   5.2     18.4
11    33.3     12.1    5.5     19.0
20   26.1     11.7    5.5     18.6
21    24.6    11.6    5.5     18.5
36   27.1     10.6    5.2     18.5
37   25.2     10.8    5.5    18.4
51    14.8     9.8     5.5     17.9
52   15.5      9.5     5.5     18.6
60   15.8      9.4     5.2     18.1
61    15.6      9.5    5.5      18.2
68   16.0      9.4    5.5      18.9
69   13.8      8.7    5.5      18.0
77   21.4      8.2    5.2      17.4
78   17.9      8.3    5.5      17.9
88   11.5       7.0    5.5      17.8

Again I see some odd ball FW's... tho not as bad as that Seiler I just
did. Here tho are some pretty large differences between Whippen Radius
Weights... over 1.5 grams from the lightest to the heaviest.  SW's seem
pretty evenly curved tho... and I think I am beginning to see a tendency
by manufacturers to have treble hammers a bit heavier relative to the
rest of the piano then Davids published curves show.

I suppose as time goes by and I gain more experience with all this I
will understand more about why that is so (if it is.)

Anyways... new hammers are now installed and I will be weighting them to
follow a SW curve from Davids SmartChart that starts at 12.6 grams. I do
that tommorrow and start the rest including regulation and voicing
tommorrow. I still have the chance to make a few decisions so if any of
you have some words of wisdom for me... well by all means !! :)

RicB
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.