Temperament Arguments

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:10:42 EST

In a message dated 11/1/01 7:38:37 AM Central Standard Time,
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net (David Love) writes:

> The interesting thing along these lines is that I don't see that many
> composers (and I do tune for many composers) asking for HT's.  Perhaps they
> haven't had there eyes opened yet and just don't know about them.  Yet many
> of these individuals are knowledgeable in this area and many have very
> highly developed ears.  If you are looking for objective criteria, perhaps
> that does say something.

Thanks to Ed Foote for his answers.  I had asked for an example of 20th
Century music, not 19th Century or before since it is well know that Brahms
and Chopin did use what we know as HT's and often  *deliberately* chose the
remote key signatures for the strong effects they had on the music.  These
effects carried over to composition and did (and should) affect the way
vocalists and instrumentalists play in the remote keys.

Regrettably and unfortunately, the fact is that at this time, there are
musicians and composers who have had no exposure except to the modern piano,
electronic keyboards and ET.  Contemporary society has not generally heard
anything else and so has learned to accept this kind of *altered*
(neutralized and smoothed out) sound as normal.  The original sounds now seem
exaggerated and foreign to the ear to many (but not all).

The suggestion you have made about changing the tonal center to the bottom of
the cycle of 5ths is indeed what I have called Reverse Well and what I had
always considered to be a mistake made out of ignorance.  The only HT's that
seem to reflect it are the dubious DeMorgan and another 19th Century
technician's writings which seem simply to be full of errors and omissions.

What is known is that with the use of the modern piano and ET to express
*all* eras and forms of music, pianists have often taken to ignoring the
tempo, dynamic and pedal markings in order to *adapt* the composition to the
constraints of the instrument.  Unfortunately, from what I have observed, all
too many pianists have actually learned to play in Reverse Well.  Thus, they
have learned everything with a strange kind of reverse polarity to it.

So, playing something in Ab or Db where for one's entire life, slow, gentle
beating has been heard and for which the compensation has been to play louder
and faster with the foot on the pedal, even a mild HT seems suddenly
shocking.  The truth is that if you really want to experience this Romantic
era music as it is *intended*, you'll have to find and learn an HT which
suits you and learn to incorporate the array of sounds it provides into your
playing.

I don't believe enough modern era composers have had enough exposure to the
infinite variety in which a keyboard may be tuned in order to make informed
decisions about it.  It always ends up as "Just do the regular".  I have two
long term composer customers who hire me for the way I tune and who
understand it and like it.  I am more than sure that my EBVT would well serve
any contemporary composer's needs and provide an enhancement to their music
over that which a standard ET tuning would provide.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin