Flange Bushing Aging

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 06:44:49 -0500

What happens to flange bushings as they age - let's say for 125 years. I
have not seen this subject addressed previously. Does the felt harden
commonly? The reason I ask is that I have had poor results repinning some
flanges from a couple 100-year old pianos I have been doing some action work
on recently. It seems that with a newer flange I can ream it with the
straight reamer, insert pin, and fairly easily get the desired fit - there
is a bit of cushion/resilience in the bushing, and a small "window of good
fit". With the old bushings/flanges it seems there is no forgiveness - ream
it out - check fit - still too tight - ream the teeny tiniest little bit -
check fit - too loose. The bushing material even feels different during
reaming - more firm. Is this just my imagination, or does bushing felt get
hard with age and make for less forgiving pin fitting? Can I assume this is
a reason to re-bush (perhaps we should just re-flange and steer clear of
politics!)?

Terry Farrell