breaky Yamaha strings

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Sat, 26 May 2001 16:50:50 -0500

I don't know if I just have a weird breed of players here or what, but I
find that mellow hammers make for more broken strings.  What happens is
that they still want that fffff sound and they hit the keys however hard it
takes to get it.  When the hammers are pretty mellow, it takes a lot.
Snap!

Leaving the hammers in the normal range seems to work best for the players
I have here.  That being said there are still weeks where I'll have to
replace 7 - 10 strings in the practice room wing.

dave

On 5/26/01 at 12:44 PM Newton Hunt wrote:

>Hi Ben,
>
>The guys are right, the strings are breaking because of excess use and not
unusual at
>all in school situations.  Home piano schome piano, Use equals breakage at
some
>point.
>
>One other issue and that is hard hammers.  The harder the hammers the the
soonest
>they break.
>
>Restring and voice them WAY down will equal longer life for strings.
>
>Hope this finds you well and healthy.
>
>		Newton

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net