Back-Action Traveling

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:45:41 -0500

Hi folks. I was traveling the back action today of a little grand I am
finishing up rebuilding. I do not seem to be able to fully understand the
geometry of this little bugger. It seems that there is a rotational
component to some of the damper levers. As viewed from the piano bench (if
the action were in the piano) you are looking nearly straight down the long
axis of the damper lever, and of course, the dampe wire block sits on top of
the end of the damper lever. Upon raising the damper lift rail, one can
observe some damper levers travelling a bit to the right or left. But what
also occurrs on some notes is a twisting motion of the damper lever that
results in the damper wire block tilting (leaning) off to the right or left
as the damper lever is raised. I realize that the damper wire blocks will
move right or left with damper levers that travel right or left, but I am
talking about a twisting motion along the long axis of the damper lever. I
can only imagine that this would put quite a strain on the damper wire -
pushing it against the guide rail.

Is this unusual? What would cause such a motion? How can it be corrected
short of parts replacement? Thanks for any thoughts.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com