Baldwin key bushing removal

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:33:29 -0600

Newton,

<<I use a flattened upright hammer shank, sanded much like a screwdriver.
This goes through a hole in a baby food jar to rest in the glue but the
hole is just large enough for the shank to go through so the excess glue is
squeegeed off the shank.  The flattened part of the shank determines how
much glue you get.  The hole in the jar helps prevent evaperation and
skimming.  Just remove the jar from the hot water and put a holeless lid on
it.  It will keep for weeks and weeks and can be put into the microwave for
ten to twenty seconds and you have glue ready to go, almost instantly.>>

I've used a flattened shank, but have not got around to making the baby food
jar thingee. I think I like the brush that I use better, but I'll know more
the more rebushing I do. So far, I've done four, and that is not enough to
know everything yet. ;-)

<<BUT you need to pick your cloth so the caul fits snug in the hole
during gluing.  How snug?  Snug enough that you have to push it in but not
so snug as to split a sharp mortise.>>

I was looking through the Reprint CD a few days ago, and Spurlock suggests
snug enough that one can pick up the keystick, and 2-3 small shakes will
allow the caul to come out.

<<Those mortises were cut in the key factory.  It would be wonderful to get
some of these piece so we could unbush keys more quickly, accurately and
size the holes perfectly, all with one plunge.  Anybody?!?!?!?>>

I use Spurlock's mortise sizing caul, which is placed in the mortise right
after the bushing is removed. It sizes as the mortise dries.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

mailto:jformsma@dixie-net.com