VJ lube

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:40:39 -0400

Hi David,
Just one little point. You say you put some VJ lube on the wood
screws, before reinstalling them. In most cases this should be ok,
but I would not recommend any be used on screws that go anywhere
near the pinblock, (i.e. pressure bar screws).
The lubricant in some cases has migrated to the tuning pins, and they
become jumpy.
Young-Chang had this problem, but they cover it under warranty, either
by repairing with plugs, or actually replacing the piano.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dave Nereson=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 8:00 AM
  Subject: Re: VJ lube

    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Greg Newell=20
    To: Pianotech@ptg.org=20
    Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 8:18 PM
    Subject: VJ lube

    O.K. folks,
        I spent some time tonight making one incredible mess making this
    witches brew we call VJ-Lube. Could someone post the most common =
uses
    for this goop? I think I made more than enough to last for a room =
full
    of techs. BTW, how did this stuff get it's name anyway?

    --
    Greg Newell
    Greg's Piano Fort=E9

    I as well one night made enough VJ lube to last the rest of my =
career.  It's named for Vick Jackson, a technician who was supposedly =
well-known in the 70's & 80's --maybe he's still out there.  It wasn't =
all that messy.  First you melt Vaseline in a sauce pan, then saturate =
it with (unscented) talc and add lanolin -- I have the proportions =
somewhere but it would take me a while to find.  When well mixed, you =
let it cool and stuff it into film cans or other small portable =
containers.  I think it works great and a little dab'll do ya -- no need =
to glop it on.  I use it on the bushings for damper lifter rods, =
keyframe guide pins, dags, grand action return springs, under the glide =
bolts, on any trapwork springs, the tops of bottoms of pedal rods, the =
pivot pins of pedals, sometimes on areas of "polyester squeak" (two =
polished surfaces against each other), lid hinge pins that are tight, =
almost anything that squeaks, but not on keypins, center pins, or action =
springs (I usually polish the spring and use a pencil in the slot =
there).  Also not to lube the whole keybed for action shift -- there I =
vacuum first and sparingly apply and rub-in unscented talc, just under =
the front and back rails, with a small dab of VJ under the glide bolts, =
or sometimes graphite or teflon powder.  Squeaky key bushings where the =
pin is wearing felt down to the glue or wood get powdered teflon =
(temporarily, until they can be rebushed), since VJ would be a bit heavy =
or thick for keypins.  Squeaky spoons also get powdered teflon.  I've =
used VJ on the glides or channels for sliding fallboards, as a temporary =
silencer of squeaky pedal lyres, lyre braces, and also on screws to make =
them go in easier, if I don't have Door-Ease or beeswax on hand. =20
        Sometime in the late 70's, many manufacturers went from quality =
wood screws to those thin, sharp-threaded, sharp-pointed, trumpet head =
Phillips ones that look like drywall screws, and they ran them in with =
power drivers and no lube.  Sometimes these are hell and probably =
wrist-damaging to get out.  I always put VJ lube on them before putting =
'em back in.
        I'd guess one film can lasts me from 3 to 5 years (?).   =
Sincerely, David Nereson