Plugging Pin Blocks

Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:39:29 +0100

Grin... I didnt say there was any like BIG problem with these... but it is a bit
less straight forward then simple free hangin blocks. I have done three
Bechsteins, and what I remember most about each of them was getting a nice fit on
that angled plate flange. That was a bit of fun.

Each of these were morticed into the rim and the stretcher was like part of the
whole pinblock assembly. We split the rim where necessary and remove the whole
plank whole. After reinstallation is done the open area is filled with a new
peice of wood nicely fitted. The hardest part for me is getting a nice look to
the veneer. Course if its a Black piano its not so hard.

I am not familiar with Andre Bolduc's products... tho I certainly know who he is.
His pinblocks are starting to show up over here by the way... advertised in the
last issue of the European Journal. Thanks for the tip on the articles on
Bechsteins in the PTG Journal. I will look through my reprints and see if I can
find any of them. I am certainly on the look out for any better ways of dealing
with these. Tho our present approach is not difficult... it is a bit time
consuming.

Thanks again for dropping me this note.

--
Richard Brekne