Multi-port steamer

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:49:17 EST

John asks:
<<What is a multiport steamer?

I have heard of the Sgt. Steamer, but consider it just too

expensive, for all the use I would give it.>>

    Years ago, I made a steamer for key bushing work.  I prefer steam because
it sizes the balance holes, works on any glue, and doesn't stain the
keybuttons.  It is also fast.
   I used a 5 lb. fire-extinguisher,  the metal kind.  It is about 4" in dia.
and about 14 inches long.  I removed the valve on top and plugged the hole
with a large bolt cut to fit.  at this point, I have a closed cylinder.  I
then drilled a 2" hole in the other end, the flat "bottom" of the
extinguisher, and brazed the mounting plate for a hot-water heater's element.
 This allowed me to install a heating element designed for a large hot water
tank.
   I drilled a row of holes (5 of them) in a line across the top, and
installed some "zerk" grease fittings which I had drilled out to about 3/32".
 These are the nozzles.  I also drilled a "fill" hole a little offside of the
top, and plugged it with a rubber stopper.  The rig rests in a cradle,
sideways, with the nozzles pointing up.  Filled about 2/3rds with water and
using a 220 volt element on a 110 line,  it generates five low pressure
columns of steam and water vapor.  (a rheostat connected to a 110 volt
element was the original approach, but a borrower burned it out by forgetting
to keep water in it.  He replaced the element with a 220 unit which happens
to be just right for making steam!)
    The cradle itself has rests on either side, and they are adjustable so
that the keys can be suspended over the jets.  Fronts are done by using a box
placed off to the side and hanging the front of the key over the rest so that
the steam hits right in the mortise.
   Some of the older hide glue jobs require very little steam, so I drop a
nail in three of the jets and just work two keys at a time, alternating so
that I pick a key up and put the next one down while I pull felt.  More
stubborn glue requires longer heat, so I may have four keys hanging over the
steam as I work through them.  The important thing is that the length of
steaming be matched to your work speed to loosen the felt with the least
amount of heat and water.
   The fire-extinguisher was a give-away, the heater element cost $4.95 (in
1983), the brazing cost another $10. Time involved was probably three hours.
I have used it for hundreds of bushing jobs and it will probably outlast me.
   I had wished for an insulated hose which I might attach and have steam
available in more areas, but have not solved the cooling/condensation/water
splatter problem.  Anybody got any ideas on that angle?  (wouldn't it be
great to be able to remove a soundboard for repair and reinstallation with
new crown?) .
Regards,
Ed Foote