Tight Tuning Pins

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 15:10:32 -0700

Terry,

I had the same problem with a rebuilt Mason & Hamlin grand.  Average around 160
inch/pounds and some over 200, as you said.  The piano is used regularly as a
performance instrument.  I slipped the coils off each pin, turned it in one full
turn, out three, back two, put the coil back on and pulled to tension.  Ended up
with torque at 75-90 inch/pounds, some as low as 70 and some over 100.

How did I know how much to turn?  I tested a few in various places and was
conservative to start with until I found what worked.  As you might expect, the
pins got pretty warm, which is probably what did a lot of the work.  It didn't
end up as consistent as I would like, but definitely an improvement.  Expect a
12-16 hour job, including tuning.

Paul Larudee