Fw: bore distance: was Re: hammer replacement

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 14:44:30 -0000

In a class given by Richard Davenport he demonstrated that over centering
the hammer by 2 mm resulted in a reduced DW of 4 grams and an increased UW
of 1 gram.  The balance weight is reduced by 2.5g as is the friction.  Let's
assume this is true.  Of additional interest to me is this:  The change in
downweight is measured from the rest position.  But the downweight can be
measured from any point in the stroke.  If you measure the downweight from a
point, say, when the hammer is halfway to the string, you will get a reading
that is something less than the downweight measured from rest position.  But
the downweight measured from the halfway point should not vary as much
between the over centered and normally centered hammers.  If we hypothesize,
for the moment, that measured starting from the halfway point, the
downweights are equal.  Then in the normally centered hammer there would be
a 4 grams greater difference between the downweight measured at rest and the
downweight measured halfway through the stroke.  Another way of saying it is
that the rate of change of resistance through the key stroke would be
greater in the normally centered hammer than in the overcentered hammer.  If
that is true, it suggests to me that the overcentered hammer would have a
"smoother" feel.  The key would not feel as though it is falling away from
you once you got it moving or that the resistance goes through a more sudden
change.

On another matter, the loss of power from an overcentered hammer I believe
comes from the hammer delivering a glancing blow to the string (if it is not
perpendicular on contact).  Raking the hammer out should solve that problem.

David Love