Strike angle (was Bore Distance)

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 09:03:02 EDT

I've replaced shanks on many old uprights that had the hammer head at less
than 90 degrees to the shank.  I would guess at 85 degrees on some, and I had
to go with that angle to make them fit and look right.  What was the reason
for this angle?

An institution I serve has three Steinway 45 studios with hammers so angled
that, as they groove, are striking more and more on the "forehead" of the
hammer than on the "nose."  I do not care for the sound of these pianos, sort
of nasty and twangy, not to speak of the abundant false beats.  Was the angle
intentional?  For what purpose?

Bill Maxim
Maxim Piano Service
212 Newpark Place