bore distance: was Re: hammer replacement

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 23:36:06 -0000

Hi Newton:

Historically, many of the European makers short-bored their hammers and
raked the hammer out a degree or two to insure the hammer was perpendicular
to the string at impact.  I wonder if they didn't do that for a reason.
Anybody who has mistakenly regulated the repetition spring with the action
leaning downward onto their lap only to find when they stuck the action back
in the case that the spring was to tight knows (hopefully) that starting the
shank at an angle less acute to the string reduces the force required to
start the hammer moving (read downweight).  By short-boring the hammers, the
shank can be set a little higher and the touchweight is reduced (according
to Richard Davenport's experiment) by a few grams per 1/6".  With recent
talk from David S. about what he calls "breakaway", that is, the change
(reduction) in resistance as the key progresses through the stroke; by
starting with the shank in a little higher position, that overall change
should be reduced.  In practice, you would be able to control ppp playing
better by not having to start the key with a certain amount of force and
back off as the resistance diminishes.  The reduced change in resistance
from beginning to end of keystroke should result in a smoother feeling
action.  I guess the question is, what do you sacrifice in regulation to get
that?  And, is the trade off worth it?

In addition, I'm not sure that boring the hammer for future wear is such a
good idea.  If the action benefits from a certain bore distance, why
increase that distance resulting in a mechanical disadvantage until such a
time that you wear the hammer down to a point when you can adjust the blow
distance to be where you should have been in the first place.

Just a thought.

David Love