getting serious about collecting

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:40:42 EDT

Brian's dilemma with collecting his fee is something all of us, at one time
or another, have had to deal with. One of the basic problems, I think, is
that most of us, as a rule, are too nice. We try bend over backwards to
please the customer, and very seldom have a situation where are stiffed. We
want to be Mr. Nice Guy, but when we are faced with an ugly situation, we
don't know how to handle it.

There will come a time in our work where we have to be the heavy. So there is
nothing wrong with putting your foot down and demand payment. It doesn't mean
we have to be nasty, or belligerent, but we have to learn to ask for our
money, and mean it.

I know this is not the advice Brian wants to hear, right now, but hopefully
all of can learn a lesson from his unfortunate situation. I had a similar,
and even more drastic episode a number of years ago. After completing a $8000
rebuild, the customer didn't want to pay me the balance until he had played
the piano for 3 months to determine if I had done a good job. Obviously I
refused to deliver the piano. After two months, and both of our lawyers
getting into it, a very interesting thing happened. On the day I decided to
let him have his way, and prove himself to be an honest or dishonest person,
a carrier came to my door with a check for the balance.

If something similar happens, don't be afraid to ask for the money, and be
prepared to take the piano, (or organ) back. Don't be afraid to take it to
the next level, like small claims, or even a law suit. It is surprising how
quickly some people will respond to a letter threatening a law suit, or
having the bill turned over to a collection agency, and especially to a
summons to small claims court.

Willem