Fw: hammer replacement

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:15:16 -0400

Have you ever LOOKED for over-striking or under-striking hammers? I have =
only replaced a few sets, and several times have made improvements in =
boring location. Its hard for me to imagine that you have never had an =
action with poor boring dimensions.

You are correct in that you don't need those measurements if all you =
want to do is duplicate hammers. But why would you want to duplicate the =
original manufacturer's (or previous technician's) boring errors? Is not =
correcting manufacturing (or previous technician's) errors part of a =
proper rebuild?

Rebuilding a piano can be done by a parts replacement guy, or can be =
done to make the piano better than when new or the last time it was =
rebuilt.

I'm not saying that I know how to do all of it (I am a tad short on =
experience), but I have been educated to the point where I know it can =
(and IMHO, should) be done.

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2001 10:25 AM
  Subject: Re: Fw: hammer replacement

  In a message dated 6/28/01 12:03:58 AM Central Daylight Time,=20
  Erwinpiano@email.msn.com writes:=20

    It's o.k. to send them hammers and shanks for angles maybe but  =
string=20
    heights and center pin heights vary as do the accuracy of the =
original=20
    boring. Measure the center pin height from then  Measure string =
height in=20
    each section.Subtract center pin height from string height and it' =
that=20
    simple and no disapointments later. Ding it the other way is a good =
way to=20
    possibly compound errors and end up with a mess that won't regulate! =
 Take=20
    measurements.=20

    =20

  Dale=20

  I have replaced hundreds of sets of hammers in my 25 years of =
rebuilding, and=20
  I have never sent Schaff, or Renner, or any other hammer making =
company, the=20
  measurements you state, and I have never had a problem. Furthermore, I =
have=20
  never heard anyone mention at a seminar or convention that these =
measurements=20
  need to be sent in order to duplicate a set of hammers. Apparently you =
must=20
  have had a bad experience once, and therefore assume that this is the =
only=20
  way to order a set of hammers.=20

  I would like to hear others with similar experiences. Have I been =
lucky for=20
  25 years, or is Dale sending information that is not necessary?=20

  Willem=20