Replacing Bass Strings

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 01:23:38 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ed Carwithen=20
  To: Piano Tech List=20
  Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 9:23 PM
  Subject: Replacing Bass Strings

  Dear List;

  Have been asked to replace all bass strings on the Hamilton/Baldwin 5' =
grand I am working on.  I recall others mentioning that there was no =
need to loosen the other strings when replacing the wound bass strings.  =
The harp seems particularly sturdy in this piano with struts on both =
sides of the section.  I would like to be able to replace the felt under =
the front duplex section which would require having all the strings off =
at the same time.  Would this be safe?  Putting the harp in danger of =
cracking is NOT an option.  What say ye???

  Ed Carwithen
  John Day, OR

  I would tighten the plate (not "harp") bolts first, but otherwise not =
worry about removing all the bass strings at once.  Many many pianos =
have had just the bass restrung without lowering tension on the whole =
piano.      --Dave Nereson, RPT=20