hammer replacement

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 23:30:52 EDT

In a message dated 6/27/01 10:00:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
edwithen@oregontrail.net writes:

<< Dear List.

 I am working on a Hamilton/Baldwin 5' grand.  The owner has decided that he
wants to replace the hammers due to damage from wine spilled into piano.
What am I letting myself in for??  I will get the new hammers from Schaff.
They list several weights; 12 lb, 14 lb, 16 lb.  Which should I ask for?
They also list a striking distance of 1 7/8, 2" and 2-1/8".  The action
handbook says a blow distance of 1 7/8", but the Schaff catalogue says to
"measure from the center of the bore hole to the top of the felt, allowing
for wear on #88 hammer."  Whoa... what the heck does this mean when I have
already shaped the hammers and taken off felt?

 Ed Carwithen
 John Day  >>

To get the best results, send sample hammers to Schaff, still glued to the
shanks. You'll want to send #1, and the last hammer in the bass, probably
#28. Then the first hammer in the tenor. Then look for the hammer where the
angle changes to straight. This shouldn't be too hard to locate. It is
usually near key 55. One hammer will be glued to the shank at an angle, and
the next one will glued straight. This might happen between sections. You'll
also want to send hammer # 88. In the box, include the piano and serial
number, and of course your name and address, etc. If you are not replacing
the shanks, be sure to say that.

Willem