hammer replacement

Ed Carwithen edwithen@oregontrail.net
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:40:29 -0700

Dear List.

I am working on a Hamilton/Baldwin 5' grand.  The owner has decided that =
he wants to replace the hammers due to damage from wine spilled into =
piano.    What am I letting myself in for??  I will get the new hammers =
from Schaff.  They list several weights; 12 lb, 14 lb, 16 lb.  Which =
should I ask for?  They also list a striking distance of 1 7/8, 2" and =
2-1/8".  The action handbook says a blow distance of 1 7/8", but the =
Schaff catalogue says to "measure from the center of the bore hole to =
the top of the felt, allowing for wear on #88 hammer."  Whoa... what the =
heck does this mean when I have already shaped the hammers and taken off =
felt?

Ed Carwithen
John Day =20