Subject: Re: Water damage/Insurance claims

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 21:41:41 -0500

At 11:55 AM +0000 6/27/01, Dan Noonan wrote:
>My "real job" during the week is as an insurance claim adjuster but
>I've been getting up to speed on piano technology and this list has
>helped a lot.  I'd like to help the list by sharing what would make
>a piano claim easier to settle to everyone's satisfaction from a
>claim adjuster's point of view.

Hi Dan, thanks for your elucidation. I have run into all of this
several times and even twice in lawsuits where the piano was in 1) a
dealers hands and 2) a moving truck that caught fire. Willem raises
the immediate problem, you cant fix it with old parts. You cant
replace strings with old but rust free wire, you cant get 1920's
Steinway hammers (wish I could!). In the case of a rare or antique
instrument that can be disastrous. But, more to the recent point (ie
Allison), usually when people flood the only coverage they have is
home and contents FEMA flood insurance and that hits a fixed total
and stops. Unless you're lucky or prescient enough to have a rider
for the piano that covers storm and flood damage you'll be out of
luck and all you can do is submit a piano repair estimate in along
with the drywall and carpet and carpentry and furniture refinishing
and hope you get enough to cover 80 % of it and get your life back to
normal.
--
Dave

Dave Doremus RPT