Baldwin gets a breather

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:49:28 EDT

The latest news...

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin

Baldwin Piano & Organ Company Announces Debtor In Possession Financing
Arrangement With General Electric Capital Commercial Finance Inc. And
Delisting By The Nasdaq Stock Market

MASON, Ohio, June 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Baldwin Piano & Organ Company announced
today that it has entered into a debtor in possession financing arrangement,
subject to Bankruptcy Court approval, with General Electric Capital
Commercial Finance (GECC).  The loan will permit the Company to continue its
reorganization/restructuring efforts under the protection of the United
States Bankruptcy Code. Mr. Bob Jones, chief executive officer and president
of Baldwin, in a statement, said, "This lending arrangement will provide
Baldwin the opportunity to continue its restructuring efforts and devote its
energies to its day-to-day operations.  GECC's commitment, coupled with our
enhanced efficiencies, will permit the Company to engage in its normal course
of business during the traditionally slow summer season in the piano
manufacturing industry.  Current management will continue to explore any and
all alternatives to enhance values, increase performance, and produce quality
pianos."

Mr. Kenneth W. Pavia, chairman of Baldwin, stated "Management continues to
implement its restructuring plans.  GECC, our primary lending partner, has
permitted us to continue our operations, meet our current obligations, and
begin to build a new Baldwin Piano & Organ Company.  I am optimistic in
regard to the direction of the Company and look forward to its eventual
success."

In an unrelated matter, the Company announced the delisting of the Company's
stock on Nasdaq. In a letter to the Company dated June 19, 2001, Nasdaq cited
the Company's recent bankruptcy filing and Nasdaq Marketplace Rules 4450(f)
and 4330(a)(3) as determining factors in its decision.  Mr. Jones, in a
statement, said, "While we regret Nasdaq's decision, the Company understands
the ramifications of it seeking protection under Chapter 11 of the United
States Bankruptcy Code.  We look forward to restructuring the Company,
regaining investor confidence, and applying for future listing on Nasdaq.  In
the interim, our stock is eligible to trade in the over-the-counter market."
Mr. Pavia stated that "While Baldwin's current shareholders continue to
suffer, the Company is proceeding to disentangle itself from the horns of the
legacy issues which have negatively impacted performance."