Agraffe vs capo

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:38:13 0000

--

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 23:06:31
 Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> [...]

----------------------------
Would you advocate shorter duplex lengths and greater string deflection angles to keep more energy in the speaking length?  What values would you propose?  Do you think there would be tuning problems as a result of this?  I have tuned pianos with greater than 'normal' string angles at the capo and they didn't render very well.  Would this be exaggerated by shorter duplex lengths?
----------------------------

>  How does it compare to the agraffe? I understand (I think I might anyway) about energy losses associated with aliquot systems, but what is inherently or potentially bad/inefficient about the capo design compared to the agraffe design. Thanks for any thoughts you may have on this.
>The agraffe also has some energy losses due to their flexibility and their relatively low mass compared to the capo d'astro bar. So, to some extent I think you pays your money and takes your chances. I now believe both systems can be made in such a way that they might be quite inefficient or quite efficient. I'm not sure which is inherently superior though I expect the scale is tipped toward a well designed capo d'astro bar system, though not necessarily with a V-bar. And certainly not with the string deflection angles and duplex lengths we've come to expect in the modern piano.

---------------------
Would you give some examples of what the differences might be between an efficient and inefficient agraffe system and between an efficient and inefficient capo system?

>I'm also not sure the benifits of this ideal system would be so much greater than than a really well designed agraffe system as to be all that noticable. We do tend to get hung up on the esoteric that the obvious slips right on by.

How do you feel about the system that Chickering used for a time.  A capo bar with half agraffes screwed to the underside.  I always felt that this system combined the best of both worlds.

>  Oh, and thanks to Brain Trout, I found your soundboard papers on the Journal CD - these are the ones you refer to that start in December 1997?
>
>That sounds about right. I really didn't keep track of the publication dates and all my Journals are temporarily unreachable.
>
>Del

Phil Ford

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!