Water damage

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:03:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi List,

I'm kind of new to the idea of water damage.  I know
it's been a topic that many of you have had to deal
with before, but somehow, I've remained relatively
unacquainted with it.

I have an appointment to evaluate a 6 year old Yamaha
upright day after tomorrow that was in aprox. 5 inches
of water for about 2 hours.

I feel pretty confident that it'll need work done to
the pedal assemblies / trapwork.  I was expecting
that.  I also suspect that there'll be some rust on
the strings as well.

I'm a bit more concerned about whether I would be
likely to find a soundboard glue joint severely
weakened or the case (aren't these things being made
with a fair bit of flakeboard?) being damaged or even
coming apart by the water having soaked into the wood
product?.

Would any of you care to offer any words of input that
might be specific to a Yamaha product?  Or, even
general thoughts if you'd like?  It's one I'm not sure
how comfortable I feel about.  (Just not sure how big
a can of worms I'm opening.)

Oh, and if it matters, it's a matter of them wanting
to know the extent of the damage for an insurance
settlement.

If you feel like it might be clogging the list, feel
free to contact me off list.

Anybody?

Thanks,

Brian